Monday, February 17, 2014

Moist Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze



Dear Lauren,


We are back in full swing for Cook My Book (Round FOUR! Can you believe it?) and when I read Gary's cookbook, Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen, I noted that Tyler recommends that men serve these scones to their women in bed! WOWZA! Is this the Real Housewives round? Unfortunately for me, I totally forgot to tell Dad Tyler's tip and now he's out of town for the next 7 days so I decided I would go ahead and make these this morning. Why do I make things like this when I am the only one here?

Trouble. Serious trouble for me and my battle with the scale.

The scones are delicious and exactly as Tyler describes - NOT dry, NOT crumbly. In other words, delicious! Look, you need to understand, I have been looking for this exact scone recipe for years. YEARS! Do you remember the bakery in Valencia, CA called S&S? They made the only scones I've ever really loved and every once in a while I make a new scone recipe hoping against hope that I find one just like I remember theirs, moist! This is it.

I've eaten about 14 bites. Please, someone come over and save me from ME!

I didn't change much in Tyler's original recipe. I now consider him a genius.

Moist Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
slightly adapted from Tyler Florence's recipe in Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in teaspoon and then quartered
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh blueberries + a tablespoon or so of flour

Lemon Glaze:
2 large lemons, freshly squeezed
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 lemon's worth of zest, finely grated as with a Microplane Grater/Zester

Preheat oven to 400.

Sift first four ingredients together. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. When the butter/flour mixture looks like a coarse blend, add the heavy cream just until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry* add more heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together but is not wet.

In a separate bowl, toss blueberries with a little flour. This will prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the scones. Carefully fold the blueberries into the scone batter.

On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a rectangle that is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into scones by cutting the dough rectangle in half, then in half again and then cut each quarter into triangles. Place triangles on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.

While scones cool, make the glaze by combining all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl until all of the sugar is dissolved. Then microwave on high for 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir with a whisk. This glaze recipe is for a thin glaze. If you prefer a thicker glaze, only use the juice from one large lemon.** When the scones are mostly cool, drizzle glaze on top of scones and serve.

Notes: 
*When I made the scone batter it was too crumbly to come together and I was out of heavy cream at that point so I put a couple more splashes of half and half and that was all it needed.

**I could never get the glaze to look like the photo in the cookbook which is a real shame because the photo in the cookbook was beautiful. My glaze was thin despite adding more and then even more powdered sugar. I gave up because you know what? It tasted great!

Love,

3 comments:

  1. I made these this morning for breakfast. My kids didn't like them, one said that they didn't like blueberries, and one said they were too crunchy, and one was just being crabby and wouldn't eat, but the girl, she liked them! LOL!!! Silly kids. My husband and I LOVED them! SO GOOD! I didn't have lemon, so I just made the glaze with powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, it was nice and thick like frosting. SUPER YUM!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post had us giggling at Costco when we read it! Mainly because my daughter and husband saw the look on my face - pure terror - when I read the first few words of your note! Haha! I'm really glad you and your husband loved them! Maybe the kids will grow into them with time lol!

      Delete
    2. Your post had us giggling at Costco when we read it! Mainly because my daughter and husband saw the look on my face - pure terror - when I read the first few words of your note! Haha! I'm really glad you and your husband loved them! Maybe the kids will grow into them with time lol!

      Delete